Yellow









I really like to take pictures of random things, trash, or flotsam. I find it really interesting to capture something that one usually doesn't find worthy to perceive. I usually look out for things that give me enough contrast and color to set themselves apart from the background and that give the picture some tension. All the above pictures have been taken in New York, where I would go on walkabouts every weekend to discover the unseen. I developed an appreciation for the odd, old, rustic, colorful and strange. I particular like the rope picture and the gully since both pics offer an extreme color contrast. People sometimes think that I am weird, kneeling down in front of a bunch of trash, but I can find a lot of beauty in it. To me, the simplest pictures can be the most powerful.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done! I especially like the rope and the sewer gratings.

    Are you familiar with the photographer Lee Friedlander? He works in black and white, but has a similar interest in things that are usually neglected. He is also a master of complex compositions.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Friedlander

    Your comments also reminded me of a scene in the 1989 film "Mystery Train" by Jim Jarmusch. A Japanese tourist only takes photos of hotel rooms he stays in, not famous sites. He says that he does this because he will remember the sights, but he won't remember the hotel rooms without without photos. Many of Jarmusch's films spend a lot of time lingering on scenes of supposedly forgettable settings and scenes.

    ReplyDelete